Saturday 4 February 2012

Hair 'em Scare 'em

I have been looking at the Book Hair 'em Scare 'em for some inspiration for my project. I want to do something along the lines of knitted hair pieces, however am unsure of how to go about this. The idea stems from one of my favorite images from my last series, which was my model against the antlers. I felt it was the strongest use of my knitting in the project and wanted to continue on from there. I had some trouble getting both this and my Eponine Project started, as I had felt very lost, mentally, with my work. I pitched doing a futurist hair project inspired by the 60s and Conrad said I needed something with more depth. After being upset and crying all the time I eventually decided to stick with the vintage theme but do different eras of hair, using quirky models and a contemporary style. We decided the shoot would be more visual, rather than concept driven. Looking at Hair 'em Scare 'em shows me many examples of how hair can be used in a high fashion and obscure way. I am looking at these from a visual view and finding inspiration for my own project.

Bastian Werner

Bastian Werner was the first artist in the book who caught my eye. I like how simple the images are. I am not sure on the model, but the hair is amazing. Shooting against the grey and the use of the black top give it quite a sophisticated tone. The light on the first one is beautiful, illuminating her face as if the jelly fish hair was real. I think there has been a real consideration for the making of these images. The sharpened effect makes the hair look so real and intense. I from these I need to remember that if I am doing something complex with the hair, then maybe I don't need to go over the top with the background. And stick to a simple studio shoot with nice lighting.

Paco Pergrin


Paco Pergin's images are throughout the book, and every time I see one I am amazed. I have picked these three images from his website and the book because they follow the simplicity of Werner's, in regards to the background. The grey means you only focus on the models and the strange hair and make up. I like how the light is quite flat and from the side, with no harsh shadows and highlights on the face. I also really like how the models appear nude and how the crop is tight on the butterfly one. Seeing how the photograph is produced, gives me the idea of how to make images that do visually work well with all the elements I plan to have going on in them. 


Eric White
I chose Eric Whites illustration because it is something really interesting and quirky. The way the hair has been drawn is incredible, with the detail on it, looking like the light of the starlet portraits.  With the other heads coming out at the bottom it gives you so much to take in and look at. Who are these women, and why can't I see their faces? The colours reflect vintage hand toning, which I really like and can take inspiration from for this project. 

Levi van Veluw



Levi van Veluw's work is slightly strange. I think it is a little hard to look at, as the hair is wet and sculptured around the face. Again a neutral background has been used, so all your attention goes to the strange hair sculptures. I love how these have been made, and how much effort has gone into them. The hair begins to look very natural and earthy, like tree roots. I also love the focus on the second one. 


Vik Prjonsdottir

Going back to looking at knitted beards, Vik Prjonsdottir is an icelandic company that sells them. Featured in the book there are several beards, and balaclavas with moustaches and beards. I think this shows how knitted product can have a high end market, and the work I am making could be product shots for something like this, or my own knitwear. Again the image is very simple, with the white background and floor so you are concentrating on the men. 

Julian Wolkenstein 

These images by Julian Wolkenstein are so quirky and interesting, questioning our perception of hair and beauty. I think the horses look great, they look like paintings, and formal ones at that. I love the light hitting the left of the horses head, slightly illuminating it. The hair looks immaculate. I think this goes to show I can produce something that is a bit off, as long as I do it well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Etsy Awards - One Year On

I can’t believe it’s been a whole year since I won the Etsy Awards. Time has flown by and my small business has grown so much. Winning th...